3.17.2014

I Bind Unto Myself Today*





March swept in as either a lion or a lamb, but I can't recall which. We've huddled under covers in sub-zero chill and also watched the girls tromp muddy and barefoot through rivulets of melting snow since then, so I guess it doesn't really matter.   Change is in the air, though, sharp and tingling.

We saw a flock of robins wing over the house and settle on the front lawn yesterday.  Dozens of saucy red breasts hopped here and there, hunting for earthworms that stir in drowsy clumps beneath the surface.  I, too, am still and quiet, enjoying these last slow bits of winter because they'll soon be gone.

When it sails in, the warm air feels foreign and welcome, but raucous spring shakes things up with piles of newness and so much To Do-- new gardens, new flowerbeds, new growth, new projects, new chore lists, new state reportsIgnoring those, I'm eager to shed shoes and throw open the windows, to wake in a cacophony of birdsong with a new baby making early morning noises by my side, his or her wee eyes scrunched in slants of golden light.

*Do yourself a favor and sing St. Patrick's Breastplate today.  It's probably my favorite hymn, so we'll do the same.

6 comments :

Molly said...

Aye. Happy St. Patrick's Day to you, Lass!

Much love!

trawlerman said...

New possums.

trawlerman said...

"Against the possum's evil craft,
Against the death wound and the burning,"

Renata said...

Hi Abigail
It's lovely to catch up and see the visits to the museum. We also love visiting museums! We have been to a glass show before and it is amazing how they craft beautiful things out of a blob of glass! ( I'm sure that IS the technical name for it ;) . )
I hope you are keeping well!
Blessings
Renata:)

Abigail said...

Molly,
Right back at you!

Heart,
New birthday shotguns?!

Renata,
Yes, "blob of glass" is about as technical a term as I could give it. You're in good company. :)

Rebecca said...

For once I am anxious for the busy-ness to come. More because I am anxious to be RID of the cold nose-tips and the numb fingers than anything else.

I am sure once the busy-ness is lived, it will become quite a different story.

This year moreso than others, I think, you will need to really *work* at remembering to take things easily and hold yourself to lesser standards. Your spring/summer sounded exhausting just in the hearing of it the other Sunday- so you'll have to try hard to take it easier on yourself (and your Cozykin).

Fling the burdens and heap the grace upon those shoulders!