6.27.2014

There's a Baby Sleeping on the Bed




It's both impossible and foolish to focus on a list of chores when a new baby fills all the crannies of a home.  I was trying to put away laundry when I innocently glanced at the bed.  Then I went to get my camera, and five minutes passed before I came to myself.  Then I just stared at him for a while.  The laundry didn't find its way into drawers until that evening.

For the ultrasound, Aidan's hands covered his face, and he still seeks skin and warmth on his face in order to fall soundly asleep.







I love watching new babies draw themselves tight and close, instinctively forming themselves into the familiar. A womb-shape of comfort out in the openness of a wider world.






Too soon, there was a baby waking on the bed.







This time is eternal yet runs so swiftly past.



5 comments :

Full of Grace said...

He is so beautiful..Makes me pine for a baby...I am so sorry I missed seeing you but the last thing I wanted to do was bring a bug to your home and infect your sweet children and new babe..I hope you can forgive me!

Abigail said...

No forgiveness is necessary! It was just one of those things that disappoints everyone but is nobody's fault. I hope he's feeling better and that no one else in your crew caught it. I was looking forward to seeing you, too, and catching up. It's been too long! :)

Aidan's still pretty small, so if we're able to connect before I turn him into a sausage (which I'm trying my darndest to do!), hopefully he'll ease some of that baby pining.

Rebecca said...

That first paragraph: as it should be!

I remember when Corynn was a baby (and until she was quite old (five-ish?)~ she would hold her ears to fall asleep. I thought it was so dear at the time but I nearly forgot it! I am glad you have these pictures to remind you of those small little things that may fade with time.

Abigail said...

Ah! I remember that! We used to talk about it because Corynn would tug on her ears when she was unsure or nervous or bored, and, when she felt the same, Millie would pull on her stretchy bellybutton!

heidiann(e) said...

oh, precious precious precious.

so sweet.

(and here on out, I will just keep repeating that.)

*sigh*