9.18.2014

Canning and Curing and Drying

Just because they're there.
 (Their?)

Reminder: polished pictures always have a crowd of sloppy ones lurking outside the frame.


We use the second dishrack as a carrying rack to ferry jars downstairs to the basement because it's handy, not because we don't have enough dirty dishes to fill both dishracks properly...





The first round of onions cured indoors during a particularly rainy week.





Calendula always produces blossoms with such gusto.  I dry them until we're overrun with petals, and then we enjoy them for their brilliant color in the beds.



























I like to freeze most of my herbs for culinary uses, but I usually dry both mint and lemon balm for winter teas.  (Plus, I like the bright shocks of green hanging overhead.)







5 comments :

heidiann(e) said...

Is that pickled zucchini cubes?
I want to know more!

Also, wishing for exposed rafters to hang herbs - I love it.

Abigail said...

Oh, yes! It's chunky zucchini relish that stays CRUNCHY, and it's so good. I'm normally not one for sweet relish, but this stuff is delicious. I'll post pictures of the recipe in my next Monster (or baby monster) post. It's an Alaskan State Fair winner.

Wowza!

Also, I thank my Aunt Alice for that beam every fall. It's the handiest feature of the house. Until you hew a beam, here's an idea I encountered that I thought was cool for a simple drying rack.

Abigail said...

(Or baby mobile.)

I've actually got a couple of old metal wreath frames I want to turn into mobils. You're welcome to have one if you want! They're just big metal circles that could easily slide behind a cookie sheet or under a bed for storage. Just call me Space Saver (or There's Clutter Everywhere Around Me). Take your pick.

Abigail said...

missed the "e."

mobilEs, yes

Griffen said...

Drooooooooling.