9.18.2014

Monsanto Loves this Post

God gave a bountiful corn harvest this year.  We stuffed ourselves silly with corn, and one week, after having had garden-everything tossed salad, corn on the cob, and roasted kale for several suppers in a row, Millie groaned when I told her we were having it for another.  I told her I'd remind her of that groan in the middle of January when we'll be dreaming of these garden meals.


The girls cheerfully husked corn for me.  I can count the corn I husked this year on one hand.  Lazy me!  Happy me!





Sometimes the corn didn't even make it to the pot.















And here's a bonus for anyone who cuts corn on a cutting board.  Anyone?  Anyone at all?

Confined to my room with a whopping spinal headache from the c-section after Piper's birth and unable to hold her yet because she was on oxygen in the nursery, I turned on the television.  A friendly chef then proceeded to share a corn-cutting method that changed my life.  In the past, when preparing corn to freeze for winter, I cut it on a cutting board. The kernels would fly east, west, north, and south.  No longer.  

In case you need a life-changing, corn-cutting method, here it is.  Place a small bowl upside-down inside a larger bowl.  The top of the smaller bowl should be about even with the lip of the larger bowl.  The larger bowl contains the falling kernels, and, if your large bowl is big enough, you can whip through 5 dozen ears without having to stop to bag any up.  

Life-changing.  
You're welcome.
  




One last thing: be prepared for floating hands to appear out of nowhere to steal your corn.



2 comments :

Rebecca said...

See this? I am getting sucked in to the comment section like I always do! :-)

This will be my last- I'll end with a bang.

What an amazing corn harvest you had! Corn was our big fail this year...some was too late- and (almost all of) the rest was too mature to enjoy and was fed to chickens.

I'll keep that handy trick in my back pocket for next year though- because that looks like a keeper!

Abigail said...

Boo to the corn. Next year!

And the corn-cutting trick? You'll never be the same again.