9.18.2014

Off With a Bang

Even though I've still got the last of the canning to finish, we started the hlearning year on Monday.  Each year the girls get to wear whatever they own for the first day of school, and I put their hair up however they like.  Somehow, this year they translated "whatever they own" as "let's steal Mama's high heels and hats."  At one point during the day, they were all simultaneously wearing a pair of heels, even Ezekiel.  They had to take a few pairs from the bag of clothing set aside to sell at the consignment shop, but no matter.  There were enough for all six.


Breakfast.  Hair undone.  Heels and hats.  Giant stack of Swedish pancakes on the table, but little else.




Later that afternoon, I finally got around to taking their official first day of hlearning picture.  Immediately before I took this picture, Susannah was telling Millie how strange she was for not dressing in anything "fancy."  This coming from a girl wearing a stained pink t-shirt and stained jean shorts...  But she paired them with heels, a hat, and a purse, so that counts!

I crack up every time I look at this picture because of Ezekiel.  He wanted me to put the barrette in his hair and tie the ribbon around his head.  Clearly, he thinks he looks pretty stylish, but I think he looks like a goofy, old man with a toothache.






Sometimes I think it'd be nice to get a first day of school picture in which they all look well-behaved.  They were too excited to smile sweetly, though, so I accepted reality, instead. 





I have no idea what any of them are doing here, except Millie and Annie.  They're smiling like normal people.





These two wanted a picture of "just them."










This is what I got when I asked if they could "just act normal for one picture."






These two requested I take a picture of them together, but they were laughing so hard they almost fell over.










Millie asked me to take a picture of Zeke.  He kept trying to make her fancy with his toothache ribbon.





He is her baby, and they get along like peanut butter and jelly.





I don't even know what to say.





Luci didn't know I took this picture of her over-the-top reaction to me telling her she could use any color of pencil she wanted.  WOWEEE!



She can use green!




She can use pink!









Tacked onto the end is a picture of the girls opening your package, Molly. It arrived that afternoon and topped off the day with squeals and more excitement.  They finished the thank you notes, and I hope to mail them with the get well cards by this weekend.  Thank you so much!










6 comments :

Full of Grace said...

I absolutely love that top shot! :)

heidiann(e) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
heidiann(e) said...

These are wonderful!
Happy learning.
(Said only somewhat tongue-in-cheek.)

Rebecca said...

These pictures are all the better given the changed hairdo's of some of your girls. It will be a while before Pip can have a ballerina bun like that again!

(But BOY do I love their haircuts!)

elizabethfrances said...

AH! Ezekiel! I am really laughing at that second photo. I was reading and looking at the photos of this post and it took me a second to notice him. He DOES look like an old man with a toothache! I love seeing them all.

Molly said...

It's a very rainy day here (Praise God!) and I began perusing through your photos again and I realized that I never responded to your post that the box had arrived. I love these "first day of school pics" with the adorable smiles and sibling fun along with some studious poses, as well. Your family is beautiful and it gives one pause to all things glorious in our world of God's gracious blessings. Thinking of you, dear one.

Much love!